So, I finished Thirteen Reasons Why just recently. We all know how I felt about the tv show (spoiler; I loved it), but the book… strangely, I just found it lacking. I won’t spoil any of the differences between what happened, but there were some things that just come across better in a show.
The biggest thing was that, in the show, Clay’s life carries on. He’s listening to the tapes, but at the same time he’s talking to other people that were on the tapes, and trying to piece everything together. In the book, there’s little cuts to things that he’s doing, but when you can’t see them, the focus is almost entirely Hannah. This is obviously not a bad thing, but I definitely preferred knowing that the characters had a life outside of Hannah’s tape, and seeing Clay’s perspective on things that had happened. There’s two sides to every story, at least, and the show did a much better job of acknowledging that Hannah’s side might not be the only one. Continue reading “13 Reasons Why; the tv show was actually better than the book”
It is PRIDE MONTH and I am SO BI and SO PROUD. What am I going to write about, you ask? Some profound, bi perspective we haven’t heard before? Nah. Just gonna talk about uni, and the hella bi life I’m leading since I got here.
So, as per with just about everyone, coming out was a bit of a process. Nothing too terrible, but still, it was something that felt like a really big deal to me. The thing with “coming out” is that it’s not so much informing everyone of your sexuality, it’s telling everyone that you aren’t exactly as they thought you were. Not worse, or better, just different to how they’d perceived you up until now. And it’s scary, having to tell people that you’re a different person, even though we all know that it doesn’t change who you are as a person at all. Continue reading “It’s Pride Month and I am BI AS HECK”
I mean, I’m scheduling this post, but y’know, it’ll be my birthday when this goes up…
I love birthdays. I can’t even explain to you how excited they make me. It’s my friends in a few days (Tuesday), and I am SO EXCITED. Mine isn’t as exciting, because I know I get way too into birthdays and other people don’t, but I still can’t wait. The plan for tonight is to probably order pizza, something we do way too often, and have a sleepover in one of the rooms of my hall-mates. She has fairy lights, which are IDEAL, although squeezing seven people in might be a bit of a mission… Continue reading “It’s my BIRTHDAY!!”
I’m sitting here writing this while my friends sit in another room watching a horror – Sinister, to be exact. I hate horror, always have, and when the group that was hanging in my room decided to leave and watch the movie, I opted to stay here. Apparently, that just wasn’t an option. I had a girl clinging onto me with her blanket, everyone explaining how I didn’t have to watch, and a boy telling me it “wouldn’t be the same” if I wasn’t there. So, with everyone knowing I was going to be on my phone for most of it, I decided to go and watch it. Maybe I’ve gotten better at watching these things, right? Continue reading “I’m a scaredy cat and I’m… proud?”
Yes, that’s right, I jumped on the bandwagon and binged all of 13 Reasons Why. There’s a whole lot of hype around it, but do I care? It lived up to every bit of hype in my opinion. And, because I’m completely unoriginal, here’s 13 thoughts on this show…
- I felt for every single character, which is extremely rare. Sure, I hate Courtney, but I saw where she was coming from at the same time. Bryce is the exception, I despise him with all of my being, but I really understood every other character, despite their obvious flaws
- Also, there seemed like just the right amount. At first, I found myself getting a bit mixed up with everyone – the sporty boys all blended into one. But I got my head around them all pretty fast, which I guess is part of them all seeming so real!
- I cried SO MUCH, another thing that’s pretty rare, especially for tv shows. Clay’s tape and the final tape were the worst ones. I wept and I wept and I wept, and I have zero shame in admitting that. How could you possibly not cry?
- Clay was just so slow? I binged that show so fast, and I generally struggle to sit through entire movies because I need a break. I watched 8 episodes in 2 days with this! And Clay, he just kept confronting people about what they’d done before he knew all the info, and taking breaks all the time, and… Dude, just listen to the tapes, please!
- The suicide scene was too much. I’ve heard it not only encourages copy-cats, which is obviously terrible, but it was really graphic too. I couldn’t watch, or listen, and what I did see is one of those things that sticks in my head. So, please, be careful of that if you’re thinking of watching the show! It really is terrible
- Hannah was incredibly selfish. I got it, to an extent, but only in the last few tapes. A lot of her reasons seemed really petty and small, and I think it’s the worst thing you can possibly do to someone to blame them for your suicide. That’s a personal choice, one that’s to do with mental health more than anything, and so the premise of the show was a bit sick in my opinion
- Theyre making a season two, and its a blantant money grab. I dont want a blantant money grab, I want a book that has been turned into something beautiful!
- It opens up a conversation. One of my friends was pretty affected by it, saying some stuff brought up negative memories, and although we didnt have a deep and meaningful right then and there, it was good to have that conversation starter, or at the very least just something I should keep an eye on
- It makes you think, about not only the main problem of Hannah and suicide, but the fact that everyone has their own stuff going on, and you should really just take a second to think about what you might not know, instead of assuming you can get inside the heads of everyone else
- It has a damn beautiful soundtrack. Night We Met, anyone?
- Its so powerful it left a void in my heart. Here I am, weeks after, still writing this post because I still havent managed to find the something that could fill that void. There was one book, but it just didnt have that same impact. And when you obsess over something that much, it must be something impressive
- Its nice and short, so for someone with a short attention span, you can binge watch the entire show pretty fast, without it consuming more than 13 hours of your life
- There just arent enough words. Honestly, I dont know how to explain how much this show affected me. It was bloody brilliant, and I dont think I can say anything you havent heard. I just have to make sure I have a post on here that helps you realise how madly in love I am
And now, we vent and we cry and we make friends in the comments! Are you obsessed (yet)? Or have you avoided it because of how problematic it is? Who is your favourite? Or your least favourite? Let me know everything!
Louisa Clark is an ordinary girl living an exceedingly ordinary life—steady boyfriend, close family—who has never been farther afield than their tiny village. She takes a badly needed job working for ex-Master of the Universe Will Traynor, who is wheelchair-bound after an accident. Will has always lived a huge life—big deals, extreme sports, worldwide travel—and now he’s pretty sure he cannot live the way he is.
Will is acerbic, moody, bossy—but Lou refuses to treat him with kid gloves, and soon his happiness means more to her than she expected. When she learns that Will has shocking plans of his own, she sets out to show him that life is still worth living.
You know how sometimes you read those books, and you feel like your life will never be the same again? Yeah. That.
To be honest, I thought I knew exactly what was coming when I picked up this book. Woman in bad relationship, man feeling suicidal, woman trying to change his mind. Pretty predictable, right? Boy was I wrong, about everything there was to be wrong about.
Continue reading “Me Before You by Jojo Moyes”
If you were interested, here’s the basics of what goes into making my videos. I am by no means an expert, this is just what works for me! Continue reading “How I Make My YouTube Videos”