2016 is OVER, people! That’s right, this hell of a year is finally finished. This means all of the wrap-up posts (for some reason one never seems to cut it?), and this is my bookish survey thing. Thanks to the wonderful Perpetual Page Turner for creating this!
Number Of Books You Read: 95, just short of my goal of 100. A lot of binge reading in those last few days!
Number of Re-Reads: Unfortunately 15, but a lot of them I re-read to confirm I can get rid of them!
Genre You Read The Most From: Maybe fantasy, surprisingly! A lot more than I read in previous years
1. Best Book You Read In 2016? I’m gonna link you to this Top Ten Tuesday…
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t? P.S I Love You was really disappointing, considering how it’s a bit of a romantic classic!
3. Most surprising book you read? Atonement by Ian McEwan – for a book we were forced to read for school, it was actually pretty good.
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)? I don’t push a huge amount, but Where You’ll Find Me was one of the few that I loved that wasn’t hugely popular.
5. Best series you started in 2016? I think the Lunar Chronicles?? Or the Winner’s Curse?
b) Best Sequel of 2016? Court of Mist and Fury, because of all the flaws in book 1!
c) Best Series Ender of 2016? City of Heavenly Fire, I think! This is so hard…
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2016? V.E Schwab and Malinda Lo and definitely two I need to read more from next year!
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone? I read two autobiographies, which is so rare for me!
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year? Morning Star, the last in the Red Rising trilogy. Honestly, this whole series was impossible to put down!
9. Book You Read In 2016 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year? Ideally I’d like to re-read a lot less in 2017, so let’s try and say none please…
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2016?
11. Most memorable character of 2016? Rhys from a Court of Mist and Fury – I’m so in love with him it pains me.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2016? Ignite Me, the last in the Shatter Me trilogy. Her writing is beyond gorgeous
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2016? Binge by Tyler Oakley I think! He was incredibly inspirational, especially in a time where I felt like I had to hide my sexuality. Or Symptoms of Being Human for educating me A LOT
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2016 to finally read? Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe. So much hype, but for some reason I left it for so long!
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2016?
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2016? My shortest was the Unknown Unknown at only 23, and my longest was Winter (Lunar Chronicles #4) at 832. Why did I read that in December when I was trying to finish my Goodreads goal??
17. Book That Shocked You The Most: The end of Code Name Verity STUNNED me. I wasn’t prepared for that at all! Also Atonement, that epilogue UGH
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!). Simon and Baz from Carry On! FIGHT ME I LOVE THEM SO MUCH
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year. The quite casual yet tight bond of everyone on board the Rampion in the Lunar Chronicles
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2016 From An Author You’ve Read Previously. Saint Anything by Sarah Dessen. I badly need to read more from her, I keep forgetting how amazing she is!
21. Best Book You Read In 2016 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure: The Winner’s Curse, thanks to my irl friend for recommending that series!
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2016? RHYS MY BABE
23. Best 2016 debut you read? A Court of Mist and Fury? Do I have to stop mentioning that at some point? Also Symptoms of Being Human!
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year? In the hope of not just repeating the same few books over and over, I’ll say The Siren by Kiera Cass. I don’t read much about mermaids, and the world was fascinating!
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read? Carry On was so adorable and precious and full of joy!
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2016? More Happy Than Not. Spoiler; it’s actually not happy at all.
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year? Where You’ll Find Me, for sure! I haven’t heard many people talking about that at all
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul? More Happy Than Not – listen, I’m still not over it, okay? Also, Code Name Verity – THAT GUNSHOT RUINED ME
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2016? My Friend Louie was certainly unique, but not in a good way… Apparently talking to a personified baseball bat doesn’t make for a good book, who knew?
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)? For most of these questions I have to scroll through my list and pick out some memorable ones. My burning hatred for Briony in Atonement rages on though, apparently at the back of my head at all times even if I think I’ve forgotten how furious she makes me
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2016? Something weird that I do is to not really have favourite blogs – there are people I talk to, posts I enjoy, but I need to read whatever’s coming up on my reader, instead of making an effort to keep up with specific blogs. So it’s a tricky question to answer!
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2016? Lolita was my most popular, and it was very therapeutic getting all my thoughts out on that creepy yet brilliant book, so probably that one!
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog? One I did quite recently, actually, about authors commenting on reviews sparked a lot of discussion, and I love getting a conversation going!
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)? As per usual, Dewey’s readathon is a massive highlight. Actually, all readathons are highlights, even if I do forget to write wrap up posts (sorry Hogwarts readathon!).
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2016? Changing from being a book blog to being a lifestyle blog! Obviously, there are still loads of bookish things, but there are loads
of life things too and I’m loving that!
6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year? Lack of motivation. Hence changing everything up, so I can start feeling inspired again. So far it’s working pretty well, but still far from perfect!
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)? My post about labels in sexuality went a little insane, and I’m so amazed! Thank you to all the people who read that, and who found my blog through it!
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love? My Dream Crate post was a lot of fun to make, and also a HUGE DEAL that LootCrate emailed me, so it’d be cool if that got some more love!
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)? Although I obviously knew they existed, I’ve got my first Pop’s this year; a Harry and a Hermione! I’m hooked now, I’m in desperate need of more.
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year? There’s going to be a whole post about that coming up!
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2016 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2017? Anything and everything V.E. Schwab has every written, get me more of that now
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2017 (non-debut)? Alex and Eliza by Melissa de la Cruz. Give me EVERYTHING HAMILTON PLEASE (even though I love Angelica more)
3. 2017 Debut You Are Most Anticipating? It’s Not Like It’s A Secret by Misa Sugiura. It sounds adorable!
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2017? Court of Wings and Ruin!!! My body is READY for some more Rhys.
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2017? Read more diversely, and finish series that I start. I’ll have a lot less time next year, being at uni, so I’m keeping my goals pretty simple
6. A 2017 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone: Sadly I haven’t read any yet! One day I’ll get into ARCs. One day.
Holy moly this post takes me forever. My back is sore, I need to get up and take breaks while writing this (she says like an old lady). Anyway, it’s done now, and it’s so much fun remembering all the amazing things I read in 2016!
What were some of the best books you read? Link me to your wrap-ups, whether you did this or something else!