I haven’t done a Top Ten Tuesday in what feels like forever, but here it is anyway. It’s better than my own sort of wrap up, right?
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by the Broke and the Bookish. They tell us what to write our top ten for, and we do! This week…
The Best Books I Read In 2016
- Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J Maas. I love Throne of Glass as well, and the author can do amazing things with whatever she writes. It’s very problematic, yes. He’s abusive. But my god does Rhys make up for it, which is why although I read both books this year, only book 2 makes it on the list
- The Winner’s Curse trilogy by Marie Rutkoski. I whizzed through this series, because it was impossible to put down. The world that was created. The politics. The love. YES PLEASE. See my review of book 1 here
- Binge by Tyler Oakley. I want to be dramatic and say this book changed me, and I don’t know if that’s entirely true, but it did amaze me. Tyler is a YouTuber who I already loved, but I didn’t really think he could write. He can though, and about things that matter. See my review here.
- Symptoms of Being Humans by Jeff Garvin. I finished this too recently to have particularly coherent thoughts, but it ripped. Me. A. Part. It also taught me a lot about being gender fluid, so yay for that!
- More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera. The title is incredibly ironic, because I felt way more pain than happiness. The world that was created was amazing, the romance was amazing. It was problematic, but amazing. Did I mention it was amazing?
- Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein. This is the kind of book you have to finish to appreciate, but it makes it on the list because I can see it being overlooked for a fairly average start. Once you finish it, it all makes sense, and you can really appreciate how great the first part of the book was. See my review here
- Dark Places by Gillian Flynn. She’s a messed up author, but I love it. This was never going to be Gone Girl, but it was still dark and gruesome, and haunted me for weeks on end afterwards
- Simon and the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli. After a lot of pain on this list, I think we all need this. This was so adorable and precious and gay, which I don’t read enough of, and I just want to squish my little babe’s cheeks because he’s TOO PRECIOUS. See my review here
- The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer. I actually just finished the final book today, and it lived up to the rest of the series for sure! There were maybe too many characters, which got a bit frustrating, but I don’t read retellings often, and this was just so cleverly done. Also, the politics were fantastic
- Vicious by V.E. Schwab. This is one of the very first books I read of 2016, and I loved it! It blew me away with how good it was. The characters were insane, in the most beautifully messed up way possible. See my review here.
- Carry On by Rainbow Rowell. There are NOT ENOUGH WORDS. The emotions I felt, but all positive ones! I really think you have to read Fangirl first, because it’s completely a Harry Potter rip off, but Simon and Baz are so darn cute I can’t cope. See my review here
Okay, it’s 11. Shhh. I wanted to do a lot more, so let’s just be impressed that I resisted! Although I did cheat a lot by putting in series. You know what, that’s okay. I forgive me!
What were your favourites of 2016? Did you manage to get it down to 10? Please link me to your TTT if you did one this week!