Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by the Broke and the Bookish. They tell us what to write our top ten for, and we do! This week…
Best Books That Have Become Movies
Technically, it’s a freebie, and this is the topic I chose. I’m not saying the movie (or tv show) has to be especially good, just good books
- Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling. Of course this had to be on my list! I actually think the movies did pretty well compared to the books. The books will always be better though, because a movie can never hold the amount of detail Rowling put into the series, even if they were ten hours long
- Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White. This was a childhood favourite for me. I love love love Charlotte the spider and Wilbur the pig. The movie was okay, I think, but the book stands out a lot more to me
- Matilda by Roald Dahl. A rare case where the movie was better! This movie, while it was so important to me as a kid, is still a favourite of mine now. I wish I had powers like her!
- The Time Traveller’s Wife by Audrey Niffenger. The couple in this are one of my all time favourite couples. In the movie they’re pretty cute too, but the book makes me awww every time I think about it
- The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants by Ann Brashares. Such a bad movie adaptation! In the books, I aspire to have a friendship as amazing as these four. The movie goes completely against the entire structure of the books. The second movie is based off the fourth book!
- Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan. This movie was a train wreck, to the point that they were even getting the mythology wrong. The books were amazing though, and as a fandom we just don’t talk about the movie…
- Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. What, you’re surprised I chose this? This was my number one read of 2015, and luckily there’s a movie adaptation too. From what I’ve seen, the movie doesn’t look as good, but I think knowing the plot twist makes it less exciting
- Mortal Instuments series by Cassandra Clare. As you probably all know, this has recently become a tv show. I did a post on my thoughts here. I love love love the books, and I’m pretty fond of the show so far!
- The Help by Kathryn Stockett. A rare case where the book and movie are just as good! It’s such an interesting historical fiction, and breaks my heart basically every single time
- Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead. This is one of my favourite series. Rose is bad ass as heck, Adrian is perfect, Domovoi and Rose together are so cute. The movie was pretty terrible in comparison! The casting was all wrong, the dialogue was all wrong… There were some good scenes though, and as a movie by itself it would have been really good. Just not as a movie based off this book…
So, there are my picks for this week! What topic did you choose? And what’s your favourite book that’s been turned into a movie or tv show?