This is a survey done by the lovely Perpertual Page Turner. It wraps up the year, and I don’t think I could do it myself any better!
Number of books you read:
75 so far, more than I expected! 🙂
Number of re-reads:
Only 3 or 4 I think
Genre you read the most from:
Fantasy probably. And a lot of historical fiction
1. Best Book You Read In 2014?
Two Brothers by Ben Elton, or The Mystery of Mercy Close by Marian Keyes
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Silver Shadows by Richelle Mead. I was so looking forward to it, and it was awful!!
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read in 2014?
The Time Traveller’s Wife. My mum had been going on and on at me to read it, so I finally gave it. But it was actually really good!
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did) In 2014?
Hmm… I didn’t really recommend books to a lot of people, just one or two of my friends. And I know I got one of them to read Eleanor and Park, but that was mainly just reassuring her that it is good, she wanted to read it anyway
5. Best series you started in 2014? Best Sequel of 2014? Best Series Ender of 2014?
Best series would have to be A Song of Ice and Fire, best sequel would be The Awakening (even though it’s been out for ages), best ender Skulduggery Pleasant: Dying of the Light.
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2014?
Rainbow Rowell! So. Freaking. Amazing.
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
Long Walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela. It’s only the second autobiography I’ve read (after terrible Anne Frank), and it was so amazing!
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
Two Brothers or Dying of the Light. Especially the end, I was seriously convinced everyone was about to die…
9. Book You Read In 2014 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
I’d like to say What’s Left Of Me by Kat Zhang, because I want to read the rest of the series. But realistically, it’ll be Harry Potter…
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2014?
11. Most memorable character of 2014?
Hmm… Maybe America Singer? Because in the first book, she was one of the only main characters I’ve ever liked. Or Jem Smith from He’s After Me, but that was a re-read, and he’s always perfect 😀
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2014?
The Book Thief. I didn’t like it especially, but bits of it were so. Freaking. Amazing. That, or John Marsden’s extended metaphors in While I Live.
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2014?
Long Walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela. It was so inspirational. I don’t know what I want to go do, but I want to do something.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2014 to finally read?
Percy Jackson! I’ve finally gotten around to read the second book in the series. Or The Darkest Powers trilogy, I’d barely even heard of it and it was so good!!!
15. Favourite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2014?
CANNOT BELIEVE THIS WAS NOT IN THE SHOW. Unless I just missed it, which is highly likely. Best quote, ever, of all time.
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
Longest, A Game of Thrones, 835 pages. Shortest, The Guard by Kiera Cass, only 64 pages!
17. Book That Shocked You The Most?
In a bad way, Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins. Oh, it was bad. But there was so much hype around it! In a good way, the Selection, because America was so great
ELEANOR AND PARK. So. Perfect. There aren’t enough words in the world 😀 And, as always, James and Lily, not that I had a particular reason to love them more this year 😛
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Derek and Simon from the Darkest Powers trilogy. Derek looked after Simon so well, it was sweet
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2014 From An Author You’ve Read Previously?
Skuludggery Pleasant, it was a brilliant series end
21. Best Book You Read In 2014 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
Bloodlines by Rochelle Mead. Thank you Sera!
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2014?
Prince Maxon? No, better, Tyrion!! Ohmygoodness Tyrion is perfection. You can all just leave, he’s mine!!!!!
23. Best 2014 debut you read?
Skulduggery Pleasant, again
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
I want to say Game of Thrones, but I watch the show, so it’s a lot easier for me to picture the world… Sadie did pretty well
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
Anything written by Marian Keyes. She’s amazing
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2014?
I think I read the Fault In Our Stars this year. That had me sobbing like a baby. If I read that last year, then, ironically, Boys Don’t Cry by Malorie Blackman.
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
What’s Left of Me by Kat Zhang. Such a great concept, and I’ve never heard anyone talk about it! Well, apart from one lady at the bookshop who recommended it to me
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
Sadie. Holy moly this was heartbreaking. The poor, poor girl
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2014?
Girl Parts, maybe? It’s about a robot girl made for boys who want girlfriends, sort of. I’ve never seen anything like it, but that may just be because it was bad…
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
Anna and the French Kiss, because I HATE ANNA. Or Silver Shadows, and The One, because they really let down the rest of the series. Or Sadie, because THAT F***ING PIG DARED TOUCH HER.
1. New favourite book blog you discovered in 2014?
2. Favourite review that you wrote in 2014?
I guess Before I Fall, because it was my first one that sounded… Professional? Is that the right word? Or Tuck Everlasting because it was the first review with the general layout I always do.
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
If we’re talking according to views, the Liebster Award. If we’re talking personal favourite, then my Heroes vs. Villains competition, even though that completely flopped
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
I love Top Ten Tuesdays! I really need to make sure I do them every week, because I forget a lot… But I’m a list person, so it’s completely my sort of post
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2014?
Getting SIXTY TWO views in a single day. For a lot of you that won’t seem like much, but for me it’s loads!!! Or gaining so many followers. Like I went through a week where I was getting two or three emails every day, it was so exciting! And I have hardly any, really, but I expected this blog to completely fail, and be over by now
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
By views, by review for If I Stay. By comments, a Top Ten Tuesday and Does It Need To Be Three?
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
My Heroes vs. Villains idea, that got a total of one vote… And some of my earlier posts, when I did a lot of top ten type posts. Before I realised there was already a meme for it
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
Well, the best second hand book shop has been hiding from me in town, so that’s amazing!! And just blogging in general. Who knew there was such a wide circle of book bloggers? And that they’re all so nice!
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
Yes! I completed my Goodreads challenge!! I’m 9 books over my target, so obviously I had no idea how much I really read… But still, it’s exciting! And starting up my blog, even if it’s not exactly as popular as I want it to be
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2014 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2015?
The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants. I saw the movie this year, and adored it, I really need to read it!
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2015 (non-debut)?
Basically anything that’s only an e-book, because I’m getting a Kindle for Christmas, so I can finally read them!
3. 2015 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
Magonia and The Queen!
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2015?
The Ruby Circle, the final Bloodlines book. Oh, it better tie everything up right!
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2015?
Get my follower count up! I’m aiming for 100 by the end of the year, I hope that’s not too high…
6. A 2015 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone:
I have read 0 review copies. In fact, that might be my other goal, to read some!
So, let me know what you think of all of this, and link me to your own wrap-ups (whether it be this or something original!). Any answers you think I should change? Any opinions you’re shocked by? Tell me! 🙂