One of the most ridiculous things I’ve found in bookshops or websites are people who categorize books for boys or for girls. Who says I can’t read a book that’s got gore in it? Who says a guy can’t read a romance? Plus, who says it’s boys who need ‘encouragement’ to read, and never girls? Here are the books that are most ridiculously categorized.
10. Percy Jackson by Rick Riordan. This one is meant for boys, yet I know a whole range of people who have read it and loved it.
9. Twilight by Stephanie Meyer. This one is, obviously, for girls. And I admit I assumed no guy would like it either. But this is one of my male friend’s favourite book.
8. Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. There’s blood and gore and I don’t think a single girl in the show owns a shirt. But I loved it every single page in the loooooong book.
7. Cherub by Robert Muchamore. Please, they’re spies, how can I not love it??
6. The Fault In Our Stars by John Green. Sure, it’s soppy and romantic, but boys still like this just as much as us girls did. My brother almost cried in the movie!
5. City of Bones by Cassandra Clare. This one is apparently for girls, yet I know loads of boys who love it way more than I do
4. Anything Stephen King. These books are too gruesome for our girly taste. Be careful, there’s no cute little animals or vampires or romance!
3. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Apparently this one is for girls. But it was my guy friend who recommended it to me
2. Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer. This one was in almost every single list of “Books for Boys” I could find. But actually, this is what introduced to my best female friend. We were absolutely obsessed! So don’t you tell me I’m not meant to read it!
1. Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy. Another series me and my friend adore, and were obsessed with. I can talk to her about it, and all my guy friends, so don’t stereotype this please.