Never judge a book by its movie. -J. W. Eagan
There are always movies that are just never as good as the books. So, here are my most hated book-to-movie translations.
5. Inkheart by Cornelia Funke. The casting was pretty bad, and I absolutely loved the book so it’s even worse
4. Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia. I did this the wrong way around, and watched the movie first. Then I read the book, and was going “But this didn’t happen… She didn’t act like this… She has marks on her face??” I’ll re-read the book, but I don’t think I’ll be re-watching the movie
3. Percy Jackson by Rick Riordan. The ages were wrong, the casting was terrible (although Logan Lerman is gorgeous!) and in Sea of Monsters they even got a myth wrong! But as my friend nicely put it, imagine them as completely separate stories. Since I’ve only read the first book once, long ago, that’s pretty easy for me to do.
2. Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs by Judi Barrett. This is the cutest, sweetest little picture book, and the movie was all grown up. It had science, which it didn’t need, and romance which it shouldn’t.
1. The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss. The movie actually really frightened me, which is so disappointing since the book was such a big part of my childhood.
Books that aren’t as good as the movies are rarer, but they do still exist. Here are the movies that are either better, or you might not have even known they were books first!
5. Nanny McPhee. The book was called something different, and it was written much more seriously than the fun type of movie it is. And the kids all sort of blended into one for me in the book
4. Princess Diaries. The book, in my opinion, wasn’t written that well. But the movies are some of my go-to I’m-in-a-bad-mood-and-don’t-want-to-think movies.
3. How to Train Your Dragon. The movie is so cute! This one I can see as a book, I just had no idea. Apparently it’s 12 books long! Does that mean we have a lot more movies to come???
2.. Jurrassic Park. What? This was a book?!? I don’t see how something as dramatic as this could be done well as a book, but apparently it was!
1. Ella Enchanted. The book was kind of boring to me. But the movie is amazing. I always wonder what she’d be like in modern times…